So I have been kicking around this idea of creating a set of rules to govern creating an Alpha Strike “army” for use in a tournament setting. The goal here is to find or create a baseline for constructing your army where people can show up and hopefully be competative without having the need for deep knowledge or tricks to break the system.
Once we have a baseline for creating competitive armies, we can start to break them.
Here are version 1 of these rules:
Forces are to be built to the following specifications:
- 350 Point Value (PV – masterunitlist.info) [Alpha Strike]
- MUST be Canon Designs, Advanced Tech and below (NO experimental tech)
Time Periond: <=3150
- Valid Unit Types: BattleMechs, OmniMechs, IndustrialMechs, ProtoMechs (note: 5 Protomechs, 1 point, will count as one unit. Limit one point of Protomechs per force), Combat Vehicles of any type (Tracked, Wheeled, Hover, VTOL, WiGE, Naval, Submarine etc), All types of Conventional Infantry and Battle Armour
- Forces can use Inner Sphere and Clan Technology Bases. No more that 16 total units for army.
- No more than 1 of any unit (different variants of the same unit are legal) BattleMechs, OmniMechs, IndustrialMechs up to 2 total (Example: Timber Wolf Prime, D)
- No more than 2 of any unit (same variants of the same unit are legal, 5 protomechs) Protomechs, Combat Vehicles, Infantry, and Battle Armour
- No more than 8 total Combat Vehicles (None BattleMechs, OmniMechs, IndustrialMechs, Infantry, and Battle Armour)
- No more than a total of 5 infantry units (Infantry, and Battle Armour)
- No Artillery units.
- No specialty ammo.
- this includes minefields. EXCEPTION Fa Shih BA can be taken. If there are other units like the Fa Shih bring it up and get a ruling.
As a first run, we will not be using formation bonuses. This is something I think will come into play later but this iteration is really nailing down construction rules (ensuring competitiveness) so if you want to construct your forces based on formations, EVENTUALLY formation bonus will be considered. [ASC pg 150]
You will pay for increased skill. Pilots are not interchangeable during tournament. You may not have more than 2 units with skill level 2. (masterunitlist.info)
Half your force may have a SPA purchased. Unit must be at skill 3 (or skill 2) to receive up to 1 SPA with a combined point value of 2 or less, identified commander may have up to 2 SPAs with a combined point value of 6 or less meeting previous requirement of skill 3 (or skill 2). [ASC pg 49]